The Lake District has a lot to choose from when it comes to housing. So much so that sometimes it’s hard to decide where to lay your hat at night.
And if you’re looking for inspiration or a short list to choose from, The Times has been looking to break down 15 places that will inspire you to visit Cumbria. Their selection includes gothic mansions, country hotels and boutique B&Bs all located in the Michelin-Starred region of England.
They will also find hotels with a wide range of facilities, from fine and award-winning cuisine, to luxury accommodation, great service, local products and local activities and stunning countryside views. The series focuses on four properties acquired by The Inn Collection, which were renovated and reopened last year.
It includes The Angel Inn in Bowness, which CumbriaLive visited to see and stay as it re-opened following a major refurbishment, is also historic. The Swan at Grasmere, which has a wonderful mountain range.
The latter dates back to the 1650s and was written by the historian William Wordsworth. The inn featured in his 1806 poem, The Wagoner and was described as “the most beautiful place that man ever found”.
LancsLive has also featured many of the hotels on the list, including exploring the exotic, unique and hidden away.
We also checked in at the five star The Gilpin Hotel and Lake House, which is set in over 100 acres of land in Windermere and has three top restaurants and The Swan Hotel and Spa in Newby Bridge, which has been extensively refurbished.
The innovative couple behind Leik’s luxury holiday resort, based in Bowness, also spoke to us about their 11 holiday homes and their tips for making it for visitors.
Below are the top 15 combinations, along with the essentials for each space and the perfect look.
The Times 15 Best places in the Lake District
- Haweswater Hotel, Haweswater – “Art deco hideaway with great food”
- Ashlack HallGrizebeck – “A new farm-to-fork restaurant with rooms”
- Cedar ManorWindermere – “Award winning Victorian villa B&B”
- Rothay ManorAmbleside – “Cool Rooms near Loughrigg Fell”
- Gilpin Hotel and Lake HouseWindermere – “High-end luxury with a foodie focus”
- Armathwaite HallBassenthwaite Lake – “Spa suites at the corner of the lake”
- Angel InnBowness – “Cocktail rooms near Windermere”
- Inn on the LakeGlenridding – “Renovated historic property with spacious beachfront location”
- Another placeUllswater – “Ground-breaking modern hotel”
- George and the DragonClifton – “A popular pub with good rooms”
- Borrowdale Gates HotelBorrowdale – “Gardens and good food in the magical valley“
- The Swan Hotel & SpaNewby Bridge – “Spa Hotel with peppy Interiors”
- Laik, Bowness – “Cool Houses across the Sea”
- The SmithyGrasmere – “A delightful cottage with great food”
- CollectionsWindermere – “Michelin star restaurant with luxury rooms”