UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. – The Penn State Hotel and Restaurant Society (PSHRS) and the Penn State School of Hospitality Management will honor 12 alumni during the 2023 Alumni Awards Reception, held in conjunction with the 18th annual Alumni in the Classroom event, on Oct. 11.
This year’s awards ceremony will be held at the Marriott Foundation Building, the School’s Collaboratory for Inclusion and Innovation, on the Penn State University Park campus.
“In the face of increased global travel, it is exciting to recognize this year’s class of Penn State School of Hospitality Management alumni who are creating and leading this thriving industry in a variety of sectors and locations. These Penn Staters represent the best of what it means to have a ‘We Are Us’ spirit reflected in their hospitality careers and beyond,” said Donna Quadri-Felitti, Marvin Ashner Endowed Director, School of Hospitality Management.
The 2023 PSHRS Alumni Award recipients are:
Alumni of the Year
- Thomas Garvin, class of 1991 in hotel, restaurant and hospitality management (HRIM); President and CEO, Waverly Heights LTD
Entrepreneur of the Year
- John Flannigan, class of 1996 in HRIM; Founder and CEO, Wylder Hotels
Alumni Industry Success
- MaryBeth Jones, class of 1988 in HRIM; Senior vice president, human resources, Marriott International
- Mike Schugt, class of 1988 in HRIM; President, Teneo Hospitality Group
- Adam Tegge, class of 2000 in HRIM; Vice President of Operations, Ashford Inc.
Graduates – Graduates
- Lisa Gao, class of 2017, doctorate in Hospitality Management (HM); assistant professor, University of Hong Kong Polytechnic
Development Professionals – Graduates
- Stacey Dangel, class of 2016 in HM; potential, Residential Hotels and Restaurants
- David Irish, class of 2019 at HM; Area coach of operations, Panda Restaurant Group
- Dominique Newton, class of 2015 in HRIM; general manager, Global Operations Property Management Systems, Marriott International
- Madeline Parks, class of 2014 in HM; account executive, Marriott International
- Erica Teddone, class of 2018 in HM; Global marketing giant, Estee Lauder
- Paige Witt, class of 2015 in HRIM; Director, Global Pricing, Hilton Hospitality Group
“It is an honor to recognize the winners of the 2023 PSHRS Alumni awards who individually and collectively exemplify what Penn Staters continue to do in the hospitality industry and will continue to do so in the future. These professionals exemplify excellence, ethics, and leadership through community service that embodies the hallmarks of their alma mater,” said Tom Neely, PSHRS president and CEO, Thomas E.Strauss Inc.
For event sponsorship opportunities, please contact Ben Jellison, director of industry and alumni relations, email@example.com or 814-865-6728.
Learn more about options and past recipients.
The Penn State Hotel & Restaurant Society was founded to promote the hospitality industry as a whole and to advance the reputation of the Hospitality Management (HM) program. PSHRS is an Affiliate of the Penn State Alumni Association and the College of Health and Human Development Alumni Society.
PSHRS provides a means of communication between alumni, faculty and students. PSHRS supports individuals who are attending Penn State at HM or who have graduated from the program, as well as those who work in HM companies and have attended Penn State or are “partners” of the program.
About the School of Hospitality Management
Founded in 1937, the Penn State School of Hospitality Management is one of the oldest and most respected hospitality management schools. Its high-quality undergraduate and doctoral programs prepare international leaders with a rigorous, diverse education, since its inception, in the courses it has participated in, which has partnerships with Penn State’s Hospitality Services, Housing and Food Services, and the world’s leading hospitality companies. It is also home to Penn State’s oldest alumni program, the Penn State Hotel & Restaurant Society.
For more information about the school, contact Ben Jellison, director of industry & alumni relations, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 814-865-6728.