The event will be held October 12-15, 2023 and program details are now live at refracteattle.org
Seattle – Get ready for a spectacular combination of color, heat, light, and passion as Refract: The Seattle Glass Experience, returns to Seattle Oct. 12-15, 2023. Noh you his fifth yearThis highly anticipated event offers a list of new exhibitions, spectacular glass works, rare studio tours, live performances, and unique opportunities to engage with a new generation of local glass artists of all kinds – all showing why Seattle is known as and the world capital of glass art.
“I am very proud that Refract has successfully reached its 5th year,” says Michelle Bufano, Executive Director at Chihuly Garden and Glass. “We couldn’t do this without our talented community of artists in the Greater Seattle area. Dale Chihuly put Washington on the map many years ago, and our amazing artists, studios, galleries, and art lovers continue to push the boundaries and show the world what it’s like to be at the forefront of glassblowing. here in America. This is a very important event and we can’t wait to celebrate!
“More and more visitors are falling in love with glass art, and we’re excited to have this opportunity to showcase the amazing talent in our community. Refract has something for everyone, from long-time collectors to newcomers, and offers the chance to meet artists, get up close and personal with their creations, and experience special event. This is a great way to celebrate Seattle and the Pacific Northwest as the premier glass art center in the United States,” said Tracey Wickersham, Executive Director of Cultural Tourism for Visit Seattle.
With the 2023 program scheduled to mark the festival’s fifth anniversary, Refract will expand to Seattle and neighboring cities, including Everett, Bainbridge Island, Issaquah and Tacoma.
More than 80 events feat work about 60 taprofessional artists. As a testament to Visit Seattle and Chihuly Garden and Glass’ commitment to making the festival accessible to all art lovers, many programs will remain free.
Details of the festival’s exciting line-up are now available on the official website, RefractSeattle.org. Highlights and innovations for this year include:
- New shuttle services will be offered to and from several private studios, bringing attendees to the art more directly than ever before.
- New exhibitions, including Women in Glass, an exhibition of female glass artists at the Seattle Glassblowing Studio, Ginny Ruffner’s solo exhibition at the Traver Gallery, and Luminosity, a group glass exhibition at the Stonington Gallery of work by Contemporary Indigenous glass masters of the Pacific Northwest Coast.
- Events and parties, including Gather: The Official Opening Party* (Oct. 12 at Chihuly Garden and Glass), Pilchuck Glass School’s 45th Annual Auction & Gala* (Oct. 14 at Fremont Studios), and the Closing Party at Pratt Fine Arts Center* (Oct. 15).
- Exclusive tours and access to artists’ studios, including a rare and missed opportunity to see The Boathouse, Dale Chihuly’s private studio and hotshop* (Oct. 12); Refract Artist Open Studios with 15 private locations across Seattle (Oct. 14-15); guided tour of high-tech glasses at SEA Airport* (Oct. 13), etc.
- Exhibitions by artists, including Jason Christian, a member of Dale Chihuly’s boathouse group (Oct. 14 at Pratt Fine Arts Center); daily demonstrations at the Seattle Glassblowing Studio featuring local women glassblowers including Nancy Callan and Shelley Muzylowski Allen; local artist Austin Stern’s exhibit (Oct. 15 at Pratt Fine Arts Center); and a collaborative exhibition with Manolo Aguilera, a Seattle-based Mexican artist whose work honors his heritage (Oct. 15 at Cafe Aroma in Shoreline). The Museum of Glass in Tacoma will host a residency by world-renowned artist Jay Macdonell (Oct. 12-15).
* Represents an event that has a ticket or RSVP required. Go on RefractSeattle.org to secure your place and see the full list of programs and events.
Luxury hotels across the region are also offering overnight Refract getaways packages. Details of the Refract hotel package will be added to this page in August.
Images for media use may be available gentlemen.
About Refract: The Seattle Glass Experience
Visit Seattle, Chihuly Garden and Glass, and more than 60 Pacific Northwest arts organizations are joining together for this annual festival, which takes place October 12-15, 2023. This year’s festival offers a unique mix of public shows, exhibitions, parties, and shows, along with program options. Go on RefractSeattle.org for more information.
About Visiting Seattle
Visit Seattle for over 50 years as the DMO for Seattle and King County. A 501(c)(6) organization, Visit Seattle promotes economic development in the region through international destinations along with competitive programs and marketing campaigns for vacations, convention sales, and international tourism development. Go on visitseattle.org.
About Chihuly Garden and Glass
Located in Seattle Center, Chihuly Garden and Glass brings together the full range of artist Dale Chihuly’s work, including paintings, signature glass, large-scale installations, and personal collections. This long-running exhibition features indoor galleries, a central Glasshouse, and an ever-changing Garden, as well as glass galleries, a Theater, and The Bar, which offers unique cocktails and bright lights surrounded by Dale Chihuly’s ensembles. Find out more at chihulygardenandglass.com.